PDF From Gunner to Infantryman By A C Hutchings

Free download. Book file PDF easily for everyone and every device. You can download and read online From Gunner to Infantryman By A C Hutchings file PDF Book only if you are registered here. And also you can download or read online all Book PDF file that related with From Gunner to Infantryman By A C Hutchings book. Happy reading From Gunner to Infantryman By A C Hutchings Bookeveryone. Download file Free Book PDF From Gunner to Infantryman By A C Hutchings at Complete PDF Library. This Book have some digital formats such us :paperbook, ebook, kindle, epub, fb2 and another formats. Here is The CompletePDF Book Library. It's free to register here to get Book file PDF From Gunner to Infantryman By A C Hutchings Pocket Guide.
Shop by category
  1. To Benghazi (Australia in the war of 1939-1945)
  2. Marine Infantry Machine Gunner | Marines | Vietnam war, Vietnam, Vietnam vets
  4. Stand To! 1 to 115 Full Contents Listing

Open Preview See a Problem? Details if other :. Thanks for telling us about the problem. Return to Book Page. Preview — Mozart by Arthur Hutchings. Book is in used-good condition. Could be missing access codes or other accessories. May be ex-library inventory. Get A Copy. Hardcover , pages. More Details Original Title.

To Benghazi (Australia in the war of 1939-1945)

Other Editions 2. Friend Reviews. To see what your friends thought of this book, please sign up. To ask other readers questions about Mozart , please sign up. Lists with This Book. This book is not yet featured on Listopia. Community Reviews. Showing Average rating 3. The friction tube Tube friction L. He went to the Casualty Clearing Station and had the wound dressed before returning to duty and the Court of Enquiry concluded that this was an unforeseeable accident.

Marine Infantry Machine Gunner | Marines | Vietnam war, Vietnam, Vietnam vets

He went sick on 23 Feb and was admitted to 22 Casualty Clearing Station, rejoining the unit on 1 March Twice during an attack when one of his guns was hit and an ammunition dump set on fire it was due to his prompt action that serious loss of life was averted and the rate of barrage fire maintained. Later, when another gun pit was hit he succeeded in putting out the fire and saving a number of wounded men from being burnt to death.

He left the brigade on 3 March when he was sent to the UK with a recommendation of a tour in UK, so was struck off the strength of the brigade. He probably returned to Australia after the war to continue his work as a sheep and cattle farmer. He died in Tonbridge, Kent in He had been born in Treherbert in the Rhondda valley in South Wales, the son of a blacksmith. After the war, he married Lydia Owen in He was posted to 5A Reserve Brigade on 5 Nov While at Athlone, he disobeyed an order on 14 Feb and was sentenced to 3 days being confined to barracks.

He embarked at Devonport on 15 March 16 and disembarked in Alexandria on 26 March He remained in 58 Bde until he sailed from Dieppe on 30 Jan to go to No. Two weeks later, on 7 Mar , he was wounded near Miraumont. He was admitted to No. He served with them at Agny and Courcelette, and ended the war as a Staff Sergeant. His father was a solicitor. They lived in Lewes in Sussex and had a daughter in called Loris M.

The following month, along with several other members of the brigade, he was gassed on 9 April and so had to retire to the wagon lines. When he returned on 28 Nov , he again assumed command of the brigade though on 1 Dec he went to 11 Division HQ to act as the Divisional Education Officer. He returned to the brigade in Jan and then proceeded on leave to England for demobilisation. He relinquished his rank of Major and reverted to being a Captain on 3 Jan on ceasing to command a battery.

He retired as a Colonel on 11 Dec and died in Sussex in aged He was sent on a gas course on 11 Feb He reported Cpl John Gunson for neglect of duty on 23 Mar He was made an Acting Major between 17 and 29 Jan He was in charge of the battery wagon line, when hostile infantry suddenly opened with machine guns and rifles at short-range. He displayed great ability and resource in getting all away to a place of safety, and subsequently in maintaining touch with his gun line under difficult circumstances.

After the war his address was Forglen, Corstorphine, Midlothian, Scotland. On 11 June , having attained the age limit, Major Baird relinquished his commission, retaining his rank of Major. He entered the service of the Canadian Bank of Commerce on 28 Dec He returned from leave on 22 Jan and was sent on a gas course at Yvrench on 31 Jan He was wounded on 25 June when he was walking along a trench and some infantrymen were playing with an enemy grenade when it went off badly smashing his leg.

He died the following day of his wounds in No. He is buried in Bailleul Communal Cemetery Extension. During his training at Chapeltown Barracks in Leeds and at Milford Camp in Surrey, he managed to be absent from the camp or from his duties on at least 7 occasions.

He was again absent from roll call on 30 Dec until 9. On 13 Jan he was reported as being absent from stables and was subsequently found in bed at 7. He was absent again from roll call on 18 Jan until roll call the following day according to Bdr Blackburn and Bdr Hargist so was awarded a further 5 days confinement to barracks by Maj Meyricke. He was absent from 10pm 1 Feb to 7.

While at Milford Camp, he went absent without leave from 5. His field punishment was conducted between 15 May and 4 June It is not known how the War Office responded. He went absent without leave from Catterick on 9 July It was initially thought he may have deserted, and a Court of Inquiry was held on 2 Aug which identified all of the Army equipment he had failed to return. But he was found and tried before a District Court Martial which sentenced him to 84 days detention.

While he was in detention, he was posted to 4 Reserve Brigade and he returned to duty a few days after the Armistice, on 16 Nov He was sent to the Dispersal Centre at Chisledon on 31 Jan in preparation for demobilisation. He was educated at Eton College and served for two years between and in the Eton College Volunteers. Three days later he was posted to join the artillery units of 3rd Division, joining 3 Division Ammunition Column on 24 Dec He was discharged due to sickness on 12 June and was awarded a Silver Badge.

He married Lilly Hatherall on 15 Feb in Blainavon Church, Monmouthshire, and they had 2 children but his younger child, a daughter, Doreen, died of measles in Feb , aged 2. He enlisted on 25 Nov in Newport, Monmouthshire, aged He had been evacuated back to Alexandria from either Mudros or Gallipoli , but by 24 Oct was again fit for duty. He was reported as being drunk just once during the war, on 1 April He was posted to 87th Company of the Labour Corps as a Private with service number on 14 Oct He is buried alongside them in the New Irish Farm Cemetery.

He finished the war as a Cpl. He went overseas with 58th Bde and served at Gallipoli but appears to have been evacuated on about 13 Dec and was transferred out of the unit as a result. He was at the Dispersal Centre at Fovant on 11 Feb , serving in 63 Reserve Battery at the time, ready for demobilisation. The family moved to Bridlington where Ernie worked as a gardener and then as a commercial traveller in the fruit trade. He enlisted on 9 Dec in Bridlington aged 27, but was not mobilised until 15 May in Beverley, Yorks, and was posted initially to No.

On 27 Jan he was admitted to 34 Field Ambulance with rheumatism, rejoining his unit on 10 Feb The witnesses for this charge were Sgt Fry and Cpl Cole. He returned to the UK for demobilisation on 19 May and attended No. He returned to Bridlington and to the fruit trade working as a greengrocer and market gardener and he and may had three more children. Ernie died in Bridlington in , aged He was killed in action on 1 Nov and is buried in Courcelette British Cemetery. He enlisted on 11 Jan and was posted initially to No. He sailed with the brigade on 1 Jul , arriving in Alexandria on 14 Jul He served at Suvla Bay between 6 Aug and 24 Sep He was evacuated back to Alexandria, arriving there on 1 Oct and staying until 4 Dec He was granted furlough between 17 Sep and 7 Nov He served in Russia between 16 Jan and 16 Feb , at which point he was taken ill with typhus fever.

He was demobilised on 10 Jun He enlisted in Leeds and was killed in action on 25 Sep , aged 22, along with 5 horses when a 60 pdr premature burst over his team. He is buried in Bouzincourt Communal Cemetery Extension. He ended the war as a Sgt and was eligible for a Silver War Badge.

He served in Battery, until he had served his 3 years and was transferred to the reserves on 1 Jan When war was declared he was still in the reserves so was recalled to the UK in December He was wounded in action on 23 July with a bruised leg and ankle and was admitted to Field Ambulance the same day, rejoining his unit on 5 Aug He was awarded the Military Medal on 28 Jan for bravery in the field.

He was wounded again on 18 Sep with concussion to his head and a fractured spine and admitted to 4th Canadian Casualty Clearing Station, he was transferred to 14 Stationary Hospital in Wimereux who sent a telegram to his wife on 22 Sep to tell her that he was dangerously ill in Wimereux. He and Laura had no children. In Jan , Laura was sent his personal belongings which comprised 2 French half-pennies, a pay book, a diary, a tobacco pouch, a leather belt, a pocket knife, his identity disks, a match box holder, a cap badge, 2 pipes, a packet of letters and a medal ribbon.

He enlisted in Coventry on 3 Sep and was posted initially to No. He was sent to the Dispersal Centre at Chiseldon on 12 Feb and was demobilised on 13 March He died in in Wellingborough, aged He was commissioned on 21 Dec and 4 years later his mother, Mary, died. On 17 Feb he assumed command of 59th Bde when the OIC went sick and again briefly on 25 Feb until the new commander arrived the following day. During an intense bombardment of his battery, with H. He brought his battery up in exceptionally quick time, and kept them in action by his magnificent example, and, although badly gassed and wounded, refused to leave them.


He has also made daring and valuable personal reconnaissances on several occasions. He was Mentioned in Despatches three times. In he was a Lt Col when he retired from active service and joined the Reserve of Officers, and fully retired in He died on 20 Oct In he was a year old nurseryman and had been married to Mabel for 3 years. They had a son, Henry, aged 2. All had been born in Caterham. He enlisted in Redhill, Surrey. He was one of the witnesses to Gnr Walter Prince being absent between 10pm 3 Feb until found in bed at 7.

He was promoted to Bdr on 24 March and to Corporal on 19 April He was mobilised for active service on the North West Frontier of India on 6 May and was posted to 90th Battery on 24 Aug and then to 74th Battery four days later. He was demobbed on 31 March He was promoted to Major on 30 Oct He rejoined the brigade on 23 Aug He went to 11 DA again on 24 Oct , returning on 7 Nov He again assumed command of 11 DA on 16 Dec He was Mentioned in Dispatches again on 23 Dec He fell sick and had to go to hospital on 7 Jan , not returning until 27 Feb He went on leave to the UK on 10 March but was struck off the strength of 58 Bde on 21 March He was formally promoted to Lt Col on 1 March , though with seniority dating back to 25 Oct On 19 March he reached the age at which he would not be re-called, so was removed from the list of the Reserve of Officers.

Beech Herbert George HQ? There are civil records for a man of that name giving his birth and baptism in , and he is also present in the Census for Wandsworth before the war. However, the only military records that appear to have survived list him as Henry George Beech. His father was a coal merchant and Henry was a horse driver from at least the age of By the time he enlisted in Birmingham, aged 20, on 1 Sep he was calling himself Harry Beesley. While training at Milford Camp, he was reported by Sgt Copland as having overstayed his leave from midnight 25 May to 4.

He was therefore sentenced by his battery commander, Capt Franklin, to being confined to barracks for 3 days. Along with the rest of his battery, he embarked at Devonport on 1 July , disembarking in Alexandria on 14 Aug He embarked at Alexandria on 1 Aug , disembarking at Gallipoli on 12 Aug He left Gallipoli a few weeks later on 8 Sep , disembarking at Alexandria on 23 Sep , presumably due to sickness or injury. He was admitted to Field Ambulance on 26 Sep , was transferred to 48 General Hospital the following day, and then to 9 Convalescent Depot on 7 Oct He was posted back to active service with Bde Ammunition Column on 29 Oct He returned to the UK in and was demobbed on 31 March He married Millicent Hodson in They had three children.

Harry passed away in aged He was subsequently posted to the Labour Corps, with a new service number: Yet despite this date he was only awarded the Star rather than the Star for reasons that are not clear. He was killed in action on 25 Aug and is buried in Bard Cottage Cemetery. He married Fanny Beatrice Cattrell the day before he enlisted. He was wounded in his left leg and neck by shrapnel on 15 April and admitted to 32 Stationary Hospital Wimereux. He was evacuated back to the UK on 22 April He was reported as being dangerously ill with multiple gunshot wounds on 23 Aug by 22 Casualty Clearing Station and his wife was informed by wire the next day.

Fanny died in , aged 60, and Ernest died in , aged His father was living at 58 rue Neuse, Dunkirk. He worked as a tailor and enlisted, probably in Devizes, Wilts, on 10 April , aged 18 and was posted initially to No. That FGCM sentenced him on 6 Oct , and after spending some of his sentence in Maidstone Gaol, in he was discharged from the Army for misconduct. Because of his discharge, unlike other soldiers, he was not awarded his campaign medals. Known as Cyril or Cy. He was a law student when war broke out and he enlisted on 4 Dec to join the Canadian Field Artillery in which he was promoted to Bdr.

He was commissioned on 15 June He was awarded the Military Cross on 15 May On 9 April , along with many others in the unit, he was gassed and had to retire to the wagon lines. He was therefore in hospital on 12 May as one of several officers sick. He returned to Canada from overseas on 21 Feb and was demobbed on 13 Feb He returned to his law studies at Osgoode Hall Law and graduated in They had two daughters.

Olive passed away in , aged 66, and Cyril died shortly afterwards on 5 Jan , aged He was absent from rollcall at Chapeltown Barracks on at least three occasions: 15 Nov , 31 Jan and 17 Feb He was also absent without leave for 22 hours on Jan He spent 3 days in hospital in Leeds between 2 and 5 Feb due to a boil. He was admonished by Capt Angus on 18 June for not complying with an order. He embarked at Devonport to go overseas on 1 July , disembarking in Alexandria on 14 July He sailed from Alexandria on 1 Aug , disembarking at Gallipoli on 12 Aug He was admitted to hospital on Gallipoli on 23 Nov , rejoining his unit in Egypt on 26 Jan He was wounded on 11 Sep with gunshot wounds to his left scalp and left hand.

He was again twice absent or overstayed his leave while with 48 Reserve Battery at Weedon on 7 Nov and 16 Jan He was finally posted to Bde on 5 Oct , before being sent back to the UK on 28 April for demobilisation. He does not appear to have ever married and so appears to have spent much of his life living with various members of his family.

He joined 59 Bde, where he was appointed adjutant. He sailed from Devonport with his brigade on 2 Jul , arriving in Alexandria on 15 Jul , before sailing from Alexandria on 1 Aug and disembarking at Gallipoli on 7 Aug He left Gallipoli on 18 Dec After service in Egypt he sailed from Alexandria with his brigade, landing at Marseilles on 4 Jul On 1 Jan he went to hospital sick, returning on 9 Jan A few weeks later he went to No. He was discharged and sent to the Base Depot on 10 Feb and ceased to hold the appointment of adjutant that day.

Once in the UK he was a patient at the Horton War Hospital in Epsom and attended a Medical Board on 26 Jul which deemed him unfit for general service and so granted him leave until 16 Aug After the war he had a varied career: he was Principal of the Government Instructional Factory, Spring Bank, Hull between and , then he worked briefly with the Empire Marketing Board in London, before joining the Divisional Office of the Ministry of Labour where he worked as a Mobile Officer until From he worked at the Bradford Employment Exchange until He then served briefly with the British Legion Police Force to Czechoslovakia, though the expedition was cancelled, and then drew up air-raid precaution measures for the Blackburn Aircraft Factory.

He may have died in Yorkshire in The family were living in Canterbury St, St. Phillips, Bristol at the time. In Edward was working as a porter in a woollen warehouse and living with his widowed mother and five siblings in Barton Hill, Bristol. He was one of the witnesses to offences committed by Dvr Harris on 6 Jan as well as Gnr Ballard on 13 and 19 Jan He is buried in New Irish Farm Cemetery.

Nevertheless, on 30 March he attested in the Army recruiting office in Ealing, London. He was 23 years old and gave his profession as artist. He went for training at No. When the brigade left Montigny-les-Jongleurs, on 20 Feb , he went ahead of the brigade to find billets at their next stop. He was sick and so left 58th Bde on 10 July On 1 Aug he sailed from Boulogne to Folkestone on sick leave granted by 14 General Hospital, Wimereux due to severe facial neuralgia and boils. The Consultant Dermatologist to the Military Hospitals in London, diagnosed him on 22 Aug with furunculosis and that he needed a sedentary job due to a strained foot.

The boils had started in April He was promoted to Lt on 7 Jan and finished the war serving with 74th Division. He was demobbed on 7 March and resigned his commission on 23 Jan After the war he became a successful author and visited Hollywood to work on film scripts — though the films were never made. He died on 18 Feb in Los Angeles, aged Some attributed his early death to wounds received during his wartime service. He married Ellen Strong on Christmas Day and they had 4 children. On 20 Aug he died of wounds received, aged He is buried in Pernes British Cemetery, France. Bdr Boddington was one of the witnesses to Gnr Walter Prince being absent between 10pm 3 Feb until found in bed at 7.

He also witnessed the absence without leave between 14 and 21 Feb of Gnr Sidney Edwards He was living in Stretford, Lancs in and working as a self-employed cabinetmaker. He was working as a self-employed home furnisher when he enlisted on 2 Jan in Chester. He was posted to No. This may have been because he was leaving the unit to return to the UK ready for demobilisation, because he left France on 5 Mar , went to the Dispersal Centre at Prees Heath on 12 Mar and was demobilised on 10 Apr He applied for a pension due to trouble with his right knee which had been caused by an injury sustained on 17 Feb during stables at Redford Barracks, Edinburgh, while he was serving in 36 Reserve Battery RFA.

He was unsuccessful in his application for a pension since the injury was not deemed to be attributable to his military service. After his demobilisation he returned to Cheshire giving his address as the Manor House, Heatley. In he and his family were living in Plympton St Mary, Devon, and he was working in the catering trade. Annie passed away in in Torbay, and Harold died in June in Torbay, aged He enlisted in Southport, Lancs, and on 3 June died of wounds. His father, Edward, was a clergyman.

He studied at Cambridge University While serving at Gallipoli he was ordered on 4 Sep to be ready to take charge of men being sent away from the peninsular. It may be at this point that he left 58th Bde. On 25 June he was made a temporary Lt. When the enemy carried out a destructive shoot on the battery position ammunition pit and one of the guns were set on fire. With two others he at once extinguished the fire, and saved the gun. He showed great coolness and contempt of danger. After the war he played minor counties cricket for Cambridgeshire, Norfolk and Kent 2nd XI as a wicket keeper in the s and 30s and was in partnership running a private school in Kent.

He died on 30 Dec in Diss, Norfolk, aged His wife Sybil died in , aged He was posted to RFA No.

He was transferred to No. One year later he was granted 14 days leave with rations between 20 Oct and 3 Nov As they worked, an enemy aeroplane swooped down and dropped 5 bombs on them. Edwin was one of nine men who were killed with one more later dying of wounds. He is buried in Hersin Communal Cemetery Extension along with 7 of those killed alongside him. As a result, Maj Bowly was called on to retire from the Army which he did on 15 Aug , aged 37, and joined the Reserve of Officers. In he was still single and living in Cirencester, Glos.

He rejoined the Army though was assessed on 31 Jul as only fit for light duties. He died of chronic endocarditis in Hove, Sussex, on 16 Oct aged His sister, Maria Bowly, was with him when he passed away. On 1 Sep , while censoring letters in his dugout at Suvla Bay, Gallipoli, he was struck by a Turkish shell which failed to explode but severed one leg and badly damaged the other.

He died shortly before his father and brother were jointly awarded the Nobel Prize for Physics. He enlisted in Coventry. He is buried on Gallipoli in Hill 10 Cemetery. He married Florence Maud Barnard in Although severely gassed and badly shaken by a shell which penetrated his gun-pit, he immediately carried a wounded comrade to the dressing station under heavy shell fire.

In view of his own condition, his conduct throughout the whole bombardment was particularly gallant. In he was a year-old student in the College, Army House, Aldershot. On 21 Dec he was promoted to Lt, so must have been commissioned a few years previously. He was promoted to Capt on 30 Oct and was graded for pay as a Staff Captain from 10 Feb , relinquishing that role on 9 Sep when he was restored to the establishment and seconded for service on the staff as a General Staff Officer GSO 2nd Grade which resulted in him being made a temporary Major.

He left that post on 16 Sep when he was restored to the establishment. He was promoted to Major on 1 Nov though the promotion was antedated to 21 Oct He died in London in , aged He enlisted in Atherstone, Warks, on 1 Sep , aged He had been a groom in civilian life.

  • Retracing the steps of the Otago Infantry Regiment and Otago Mounted Rifles in WW1..
  • Retracing the steps of the Otago Infantry Regiment and Otago Mounted Rifles in WW1..
  • The Feel-It Book.
  • In Hospital and Camp?

Along with much of 58th Bde he sailed from Devonport on 1 July arriving at Alexandria on 14 July and then went to Gallipoli. Having been discharged to Base from No. He remained with them until 26 April when he was posted briefly to 17 DAC and then returned to the UK on 26 May for demobilisation. He was formally demobbed on 31 March He enlisted at Sheerness, on the Isle of Sheppey, Kent.

Wesley was badly wounded and was taken to a Field Ambulance where he died of his wounds, aged He carried out a daring reconnaissance under heavy fire, and obtained most valuable information. He probably left 58 Bde when was appointed an adjutant on 5 March He ended the war as a Captain and stayed on in the Army, working probably at No. When he retired in , he was granted the honorary rank of Brigadier. He died in Hampshire in He was promoted to Lt on 6 April and to Captain on 14 June He fought in the Boer War between and The following year he married Constance Emily Randall Johnson on 3 June , they had four children.

He had retired as a Major sometime before During his time in 60 Bde he also was temporarily appointed acting Commander Royal Artillery of 11 Division on 31 Jul He arrived to take temporary command of 58 Bde on 17 Feb but left again 2 days later when Lt Col Winter returned. He was Mentioned in Dispatches three further times, on 18 May , 14 June and On 9 May he was promoted to Lt Col. He was awarded the Distinguished Service Order in He died on 15 May , aged 68, in Devon. He ended the war as a Bdr.

He enlisted in Oxford on 31 Aug 14 as a year old footman. He embarked at Alexandria on 25 June , arriving at Marseilles on 3 July He was wounded in action on 23 April but was discharged back to duty the following day. He was granted leave to the UK between 18 and 29 May , and again on 15 Feb After the war his address was given as Shot over House, Wheatley, Oxon, a large 18th century country house. He had been a corporal but reverted to being a gunner on 4 April His place was taken by William Isaac. He was from Kingston-on-Thames. He was sent on an advanced telephone course on 22 Jan He ended the war as a Corporal and was demobbed on 24 Feb With his battery he served at Gallipoli.

He transferred back to the UK to the home establishment on 14 March to provide training for recruits and cadets. They had two daughters and one son. Lt Bull was made an acting Captain on 11 Sep and resigned his commission on 4 April Bull and Rowbotham had served alongside each other for much of the war. He was commandant of Prisoner-of-War Camps from until his retirement in , and was in command of Camp 30 in Bowmanville, Ontario, when two German officers escaped dressed as workmen. He died on 15 Nov his wife having pre-deceased him and he having re-married.

On 17 Aug , he was promoted to Flight Commander and so was made a temporary Captain and served in 55 Sqn. When returning from a raid he attacked ten enemy aeroplanes which were engaged with another of our formations. He shot down two and his observer another, and he then brought his formation back without loss. In six raids he only lost one machine.

He has been leader in seventeen operations and deputy leader in eleven. He returned to the Army when the two years were over but returned back to the RAF being granted a permanent commission as a Flying Officer on 1 Nov and was promoted back to Flt Lt from Flying Officer on 1 Jan He worked as a traveller for a blouse manufacturer. He agreed to serve overseas and was posted to Mutrah in Egypt, on 16 Mar He applied for a commission so went to Alexandria and sailed from there on 6 Dec , arriving back in the UK on 22 Dec to attend Cadet School in Exeter.

He was hit in the stomach by a sniper and died shortly afterwards in 18 Corps Main Dressing Station. He is commemorated on the Thiepval Memorial. His younger brother Guy was killed in serving in the Northumberland Fusiliers. Richard died on 23 Dec While serving at Gallipoli he went sick and was replaced as Cpl by another man on 2 Sep , so it is likely that he left 58 Bde at that point. After initial posting to No. He embarked at Devonport on 1 Jul , disembarking in Alexandria on 14 Jul He was awarded 7 days Field Punishment No.

He re-embarked at Alexandria on 1 Aug , disembarking at Gallipoli on 12 Aug He was admitted to hospital on Gallipoli on 28 Oct and transferred to 17 General Hospital Alexandria with diarrhoea on 2 Nov , before rejoining his unit in Egypt on 22 Jan He sailed from Alexandria on 25 Jun 16, arriving at Marseilles on 3 Jul It is likely that he died in Walsall in aged Between 8 Jun and 11 Sep , he was made an acting Captain while temporarily second-in-charge of a battery. He worked as a billiard marker and then joined the Army aged 18 on 23 Jan at Woolwich.

He was given service number and he served as a gunner in the RHA, including in India between October and February After returning to the UK he was stationed at Ipswich when he deserted on 12 Feb After being found and tried by Court Martial, he spent 42 days in detention and was restored to duty on 15 May He was promoted on 10 Feb to Sgt, and left France when he was posted to join No. He married again, describing himself as a bachelor, on 17 Mar to Rose Porcher who before the war may have worked as a servant at the London County Lunatic Asylum, Hanwell.

He joined D Battery No. After the war he served in Battery, 36 Bde at Kildare, Ireland, from where he decided to retire on retirement pay from the Army, on 8 Jan and joined the Reserve of Officers. However, he then briefly joined No. In he sought permission from the War Office to emigrate to Australia, which was granted on 27 Aug by another former 58 Bde officer, Maj T J Hutton, now serving in the Personnel Services directorate.

His wife Rose died in Perth, Australia in , aged John William Calcott was known as Jack to his family and friends. He was born in Cardiff in about He worked at the Dunlop rubber works in Birmingham, having previously worked at Baldwins. He enlisted on 24th May , and at the time of his death he resided with his wife and child at 44 Manor Road, Stourport. He died on 7 Nov just 4 days before the Armistice, having been in France for just over two years.

He was posthumously awarded the Military Medal. His only brother, Richard, had been killed a year earlier. He enlisted in Clydebank, Lanarkshire, shortly after war broke out. Eight men were badly burned by the explosion and one killed. His grandfather, Charles Hight, had been an officer in the Indian Army. Aylmer went to Wellington College. He was commissioned on 8 Aug into the Indian Army but was transferred to the artillery on 16 Mar He was appointed as the Adjutant of the brigade on 6 Mar and so was promoted to be a temporary Lt, and was described by Maj Hutton that summer as nice, if a little young for the job.

He went for a few days rest to Paris with Maj Hutton on 23 Mar 17, returning on 26 Mar 17, and was wounded on 8 Apr , but returned to the unit ten days later, 18 Apr He was promoted to be an acting Captain on 3 Jul On 4 Oct he acted as liaison officer with 34 Inf Bde. He attended a course in the UK, returning on 13 Feb He joined the School of Equitation in , finishing as Chief Instructor in He retired from the Army in She was 15 years younger than him.

They had one son who followed his father into the Army and became a Brigadier. He died on 2 May aged 86, and was buried in Winterborne-Zelstone, His wife died aged 78 in He was married to Mary Ellen Campbell and their home was in Ashington. He was killed in action on 16 or 17 Feb , aged 27, and he is buried in Philosophe British Cemetery, Mazingarbe, France. He enlisted in his home town, Glasgow, on 2 Sep , aged 20 and was posted to initially to No.

Making use of his civilian occupation, he was appointed a Shoeing-Smith on 8 Jan At some point in the war he suffered a contused and fractured pelvis — this may have been the cause for him being posted to 5C Reserve Bde on 28 Sep He was then posted to 29 Division Ammunition Column which was serving in Egypt, arriving there on about 21 Nov He was awarded the Military Medal for gallantry in the field, this was gazetted on 28 Jan He was demobbed on 31 Mar He was posted from the brigade to 11 Division Ammunition Column on 25 Jun but posted back to 58 Bde four days later on 29th.

He was wounded in the neck by a shell on 21 Aug and evacuated. He joined Springfield School in Lambeth on 24 Aug , aged just 3 and a half. Due to ill health contracted while on active service in the RFA, he retired from the Army on 13 Feb In he was working as an assistant trader when he arrived back in the UK after a trip to Nigeria. Also that year he was cited in a divorce case as having had an affair with Lady Grace Brisco. A Robert W Campsie died in Yorkshire in , aged Before the war he worked as an iron moulder.

He enlisted in Nuneaton on 3 Sep and was posted initially to No. He was wounded by shrapnel in his left hip on 12 Aug , very soon after he had landed at Gallipoli. After his wounding he suffered a nervous breakdown and stomach problems. He did not return to active service, instead he was released for munition work at The Rover Motor Co Ltd, Garfield Rd, Coventry on 19 Apr , so was able to live at home.

The company wrote to the War Office requesting that an extra ration allowance be granted since he was living at home. The request was denied. He died in Coventry on 11 Oct , aged His father, Jacob, was a vicar, living in Stoke Newington. He joined the Northern Rhodesia Rifles on 25 Mar On 16 Nov he was admitted to 57 Casualty Clearing Station with influenza, was transferred to No. In he was aged 18 and was living in Ealing and working as a clerk in the London County and Westminster Bank when he resigned to join the Army.

He was granted leave, returning on 16 Feb and must have been wounded or been taken ill because he attended a Medical Board at Lezarde Valley Camp, Le Havre, on 5 Jun where he was declared fit for service. He was promoted to Lt on 1 Jul and during a major barrage by the battery on 31 Jul he achieved the feat of sleeping through it all. As he advanced, he was wounded in the back, right leg and left forearm from the British artillery barrage.

He was one of the officers who formed part of a mobile battery on 26 Aug as the German Army began its final collapse and retreat. He returned from more leave on 15 Dec , and attended a course at 1st Army Artillery School, rejoining his battery on 28 Jan He was demobilised on 9 Nov at No. As tensions with Germany and the possibility of another war loomed, he joined the Territorial Army to serve in the ranks of 60th City of London Anti-Aircraft Bde on 11 Apr He was allotted service number and while serving in the ranks had to relinquish his rank of Lt.

Before the war he and his wife Catherine and their daughter lived in Audley, Blackburn, where they both worked in the textiles industry: John as a Heald examiner, while Catherine was a Heald knitter. John was All three are buried alongside each other in Philosophe British Cemetery, Mazingarbe. Before the war he had married Jane and was a waggoner on a farm in Ashill.

Nine were killed, one later dying of wound. He went overseas, arriving in the Balkans theatre of war on 13 Oct While serving with 58 Bde, he was discharged from the Army on 12 Sep due to wounds he had received and he was awarded a Silver War Badge. Sergeant Cornford was in charge and was moving in battery column and was wheeling to the right.

The team of which Dr. Chaplin was lead driver got out of hand, wheeled to the left down a slope and during the plunging of the horses Driver Chaplin came off and was dragged by his left foot in the stirrup for a considerable distance. His foot then became free and he fell under the wheels.

Stand To! 1 to 115 Full Contents Listing

He was picked up and taken to hospital. They lived in Church Lawford, Rugby, Warks. He was wounded while serving at Gallipoli and died of his wounds on 7 Oct , aged He was buried at sea. He is commemorated on the Helles Memorial and on the Brandon village memorial, near Rugby. On the afternoon of 9 Nov , he was training as lead driver in driving drill on Sugarwell Hill, Meanwood, NE Leeds, when his team of horses got out of hand.

They went down a slope and during the plunging of the horses Fred Chaplin came off and was dragged by his left foot in the stirrup for a considerable distance. He was picked up and taken to Leeds Infirmary, where he was diagnosed with a fractured skull and dislocated shoulder.

He was in the infirmary between 10 Nov and 6 Dec A Board of Enquiry was held on 18 Nov which exonerated him of any blame. He was posted to 58 Bde Ammunition Column on 17 Apr His daughter Peggy Mildred was born 6 months after his wedding on 3 Sep He was posted on reorganisation to No.

He went to 8 Field Ambulance with influenza on 27 Jun , returning to duty a couple of days later. He had another spell of leave to the UK between 8 and 22 Mar After the war ended, he was sent to the Dispersal Centre at Fovant on 25 Apr , transferred to Section B Army Reserve on 23 May , and discharged on demobilisation on 31 Mar He expressed an interest in joining Section D Army Reserve after the war.

He died in Weston-super-Mare in , aged He enlisted on 26 Apr , aged He was discharged from the Army while serving in 58th Bde on 21 Nov due to wounds he had received. He married Dorothea May Sharpe in Dec and they had 4 children. He died on 4 Apr , aged He enlisted in Taunton on 2 Sep , aged After going first to No. He was appointed Acting Bdr on 8 Feb He sailed from Alexandria on 28 Jul and landed at Gallipoli on 9 Aug He was appointed Temporary Bdr on 24 Sep He caught jaundice and so was admitted to 35 Field Ambulance on Gallipoli on 31 Oct , though was discharged back to duty on 2 Nov Shortly after leaving Gallipoli he was re-admitted to hospital in Egypt on 4 Jan with albuminosis so was transferred to Nasareth School Cairo next day.

He was promoted to Sgt on 10 Mar and was demobbed on 15 May After his return to civilian life, he got a job 4 weeks later as a porter with Great Western Railways on 16 Jun at Cardiff Railway Station. He stayed working for GWR until at least He married Ethel Worthy in He qualified as a signaller and telephonist. Accustomed to the care of horses. He went with them to France on 23 Aug He was promoted to Cpl on 30 Dec On 15 Jul , he was posted to No.

He remained at his post continuously for three days and nights, in order to maintain a complicated system of signal communication. He set a fine example throughout. On 7 Jun , he was severely wounded in action with gunshot wounds probably actually shrapnel in his right hip and thigh. He was admitted to Field Ambulance the same day and died of his wounds on 14 Jun in 14th General Hospital, Boulogne. He is buried in Boulogne Eastern Cemetery. The Ministry of Pensions granted his widow a pension of 27 shillings and 6d a week from 24 Dec He and his wife, Cissie Kitchener had had three children, including a son, George Augustus Kitchener born in before they were married, a daughter Alice Clark born on 15 Jul , a month after they were married, and a third, name and date unknown.

They lived in Woolwich. He was posted to France on 22 Jan and was there until 5 Mar He suffered gas poisoning and was invalided home from France on 5 Jul and admitted to hospital. He was discharged from the Army while in hospital on 1 Aug and was awarded an Army pension until his death 2 years later on 30 Jun from tuberculosis.

Material Information

He is buried in Wimbledon Gap Road Cemetery. His father applied for a commemorative plaque sometimes known as the Death Penny and scroll on 4 Oct to demonstrate that he had died as a result of his war service. This was approved just three days later. He badly wounded his hand while training so was in Leeds Infirmary from 8 Feb to 26 Mar He sailed from Devonport with his battery on 3 Jul , disembarking at Alexandria on 17 Jul He sailed from Alexandria on 28 Jul , landing on Gallipoli on 9 Aug After the evacuation of the division from Gallipoli, he arrived back in Alexandria on 17 Jan He was wounded again on 27 Sep with a gunshot wound to his knee.

He is buried in Godalming New Cemetery. He extinguished two fires in the gunpits of the battery. The pits were full of ammunition, and were being heavily shelled. His gallant action saved many lives, and probably all the guns of the battery. Before the war he worked as a labourer. He enlisted in Liverpool. In later life, while serving together in the Home Guard in Nantwich, Cheshire, during World War 2, he befriended another former member of the brigade, Bernard Shackleton.

He was working as a blacksmith when he enlisted in Birmingham on 13 Jan , aged On 29 Aug he went to France. He was in hospital between 24 Dec and 8 Jan due to inflammation of connecting tissue. He missed a 6. He was admitted to 72 Field Ambulance with an abscess on his neck on 13 May Six months later, he was killed in action on 9 Oct aged 20 and is buried in Poelcapelle British Cemetery, Belgium. He was born in in Normanton and baptised on 10 May that year.

In he was working as an errand boy for a pawn shop.

  • Families And Survivors (Vintage Contemporaries).
  • Uncategorized | Journey of the Otagos | Page 4!
  • Chronology.
  • Submit documents to WikiLeaks.
  • See a Problem?!

He enlisted into the Army early in the war in Normanton and was first posted overseas on 18 Apr when he went to France. He is buried in Longuenesse St. Omer Souvenir Cemetery. On 24 Apr he was made a temporary Capt while training artillerymen at a depot, but he was promoted to Lt on 23 Jul In his turn he too had to go to wagon lines suffering from gas on 18 Apr He acted as the liaison officer with an infantry battalion of 32 Inf Bde for a raid they undertook on 9 May However, two weeks later on 17 Jul , he was appointed to be the adjutant of an unspecified artillery unit and on 5 Mar he was again appointed as an adjutant.

He relinquished the role of adjutant on 14 Dec , and he retired from the Army on 20 Mar He died in Vancouver, Canada on 1 Feb , aged He was the great-grandson of the artist John Constable, and he went to Clifton College. He attended the Royal Military Academy and was commissioned on 10 Feb He was serving in 14 Division Artillery when he went to France in May He was promoted to Lt on 8 Aug He went on leave on 24 Dec , returning on 9 Jan He attended a veterinary course between 15 and 25 Jan He was appointed Cl HH.

He served in both World Wars, becoming a Lieutenant Colonel. After being posted initially to No. He sailed from Devonport on 1 Jul , arriving in Alexandria on 14 Jul 14, and then from Alexandria he sailed on 28 Jul , landing at Gallipoli on 9 Aug He was admitted to 2 Australian Hospital on Mudros on 2 Oct with diarrhoea and urinary trouble. He remained in the UK for the rest of war, though was hospitalised at least twice more: in Newcastle-upon-Tyne with tonsillitis on 26 Oct and in the Military Hospital Cambridge with syphilis between 6 Jun and 22 Aug On 5 May , he and Elsie Roberts were married.

He was posted to Bty on 5 Mar and sent to the Dispersal Centre at Chiseldon for demobilisation on 22 Apr By mid-May he had been promoted to Sgt when he witnessed Cpl Percy Beale neglect duty on 15 May , and the same day he reported Gnr Harry Beesley for having overstayed his leave. He in turn ran into trouble when he was court-martialled on 24 Jun while at Milford Camp. He had been born in Cholsey near Wallingford, which was then in Berkshire but since is now in Oxfordshire.

He died of wounds aged 27 on 18 Jan in the Military Hospital Cairo. He is buried in Cairo War Memorial Cemetery. He subsequently extended that first to 12 years with the colours and then to 21 years. He rose through the ranks to become a Sgt Major on 29 Jan but was discharged as physically unfit for military service due to piles on 11 May During his service he married Ellen Murray on 1 Dec in Fermoy and they had 6 children, two of whom died in infancy.

He arrived in France on 9 Jan and was assigned to Bde on re-organisation on 28 Aug He was granted leave to the UK between 27 Dec and 5 Jan , and in January applied for a commission. He was supported in his application by the acting commander of 58 Bde, Maj Griffin, and by the CRA of 11 Division, Brigadier General Lamont, who was keen to have him back in 58 Bde once he had been commissioned. On 19 Feb , he was promoted to Lt. Sgt Cornford provided a witness statement at the subsequent Board of Enquiry on 18 Nov He was discharged from the Army on 12 Mar , aged 43, from the Command Depot in Ripon having reached the end of his agreed period of service.

He was conscripted on 9 Apr and called up for service the following day. After postings to No. He was admitted to 34 Field Ambulance on 4 Feb having fainted, returning to his unit on 14 Feb , but then on 7 Apr he was admitted to a Casualty Clearing Station with epilepsy. He had apparently suffered fits during childhood but these became more frequent while serving in France under regular shellfire. He was discharged from the Army as being permanently unfit for military service aged 32 on 17 May He died on 26 Nov , aged